Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gin & Tonic - A Glover Park Frat Party

I have never actually been to Gin & Tonic during the day. I have never eaten a meal there. Nor have I ever knocked back a few beers while watching a sporting event. So the following review may indeed lack a well rounded perspective, because contrary to popular belief, Gin & Tonic offers all of the above.

There must be something that has brought me back to G&T five times since moving to the DC area. It's not the thirty minute line outside. It's not the 98.6 degree sweatshop that waits beyond its doors. And its not the opportunity to dance shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of undergrads and young professionals. So what can it be? Oh yeah. I forgot. I am, after all, a frat boy at heart. Because despite the overly crowded dance floor, the uncomfortable environs, and the sometimes excruciating wait for the bathroom, Gin & Tonic IS fun. Well, as long as you don't show up sober. Make no mistake. It is--on weekend nights--a frat party.

Like any crowded venue, you have to buy multiple drinks when you get to the bar, because competing with the slew of other patrons for bartender attention is impossible. But like all good frat parties, people come to party, and people come to dance. The atmosphere is only enhanced by their selection in music, which is all that was good in the 80's, as well as a few more recent pop hits. And if you get bored with the music, look no further than the movies playing on the elevated televisions, Animal House or Wedding Crashers--cult flicks that don't need to be audible to be enjoyed.

If I ever questioned the frat house theme, such doubt was recently eradicated when I learned Tucker Max hosted a private screening at G&T for the new movie based on his book, "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell." I don't know Tucker.....but they serve it at Gin & Tonic.

On a side note.....don't read the book. And don't see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment