Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bistro Lepic -- A Social Wine Bar

I was nervous when I walked into Bistro Lepic to partake in their free wine tasting. Since I do not have the most exacting palette, nor am I educated about French wine, I was naturally uncomfortable. Specifically, I was worried that there would be an element of “cultured pretension” that sometimes accompanies upscale wine bars. However, I was delightfully surprised with the welcoming demeanor of the bartender and its patrons. The bartender (sommelier is a more accurate description) was engaging and pleased to answer all of my questions, regardless of how elementary they were. There were times during the evening when I felt like I was in an upscale version of Cheers. A host of regulars converge on the bar during happy hour. Familiar with the establishment and each other, they help create a cordial and relaxing environment. The ease of stimulating conversation and abundance of attentive faces made for a delightful evening.

Bistro Lepic is located off Wisconsin Avenue in northern Georgetown, and its unassuming facade mirrors its general aura of acceptance. On the ground floor is the restaurant, where I have not yet had the privilege to dine. The upstairs wine bar conveys a confluence of decor styles--here East meets West. The walls are adorned with full murals, distinctively European, while Asian style wall lamps line the perimeter. Meanwhile, low wicker chairs enhance a lounge type atmosphere. Dim lighting and relaxing music make it an ideal setting to converse over a light meal, and the food is excellent. I can personally vouch for the sautéed sea scallops with ginger broccoli mousse and light ginger butter. Their selection of cheeses complement their extensive wine list. Ask the sommelier what goes well with what—his recommendations are insightful and accurate.

Drop in between six and eight on Tuesdays to participate in a free wine tasting. It is a great marketing device as Bistro Lepic sells itself. Not only will you have a wonderful evening, but like me, you will be eager to return.

1 comment:

  1. I plan on going tomorrow night to meet some friends who have become regulars of the Tuesday nights. One is wine blogger. I look forward to the scallops! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete